Thursday, May 03, 2007

the end of the beginning


last friday i finished my student teaching internship in 5th grade in roanoke city. this semester was quite the learning experience. teaching the grade i wanted the least, in the area i dreaded the most, taught me more than i could have asked for. i learned:
  • that children are children, regardless of where you are
  • about the basic, human desire to be loved-- a feeling that transcends all barriers
  • that many kids are robbed of their childhood for circumstances they can't control
  • that many of my students' negative outlooks are not the child's fault, but a result of their unfortunate environment
  • about expectations. my students will not have them unless i expect nothing but the best from every single one of my kids.
this experience also taught me worlds about myself. i learned that:
  • i'm stronger than i thought. i'm a tough cookie when i need to be but still have a soft center that melts for children.
  • my creative outlets allow my students to excel in ways i never imagined.
  • i can actually teach social studies, although i hate the subject and never wish to teach virginia studies again! :o)
  • i'm good at teaching. i can do this. i'm a teacher.
i pray for each of these special students. i pray for their safety and well-being. i pray for their continued success throughout their education. i pray that every single child would break the stereotype given to them and transcend even the highest expectations. these children are our hope, our future. praise God for their lives.


a "goofy" picture!


the whole group, even with my mentor teacher, mr. moss


this was the second class that i taught daily


mr. moss and me


some of the VT student teachers. there were 13 of us total!

No comments: